Sunday, August 20, 2006

Image Issues

HEY!  I'm trying to stay away fats and carbos. Yes, I'm one of those self-professed semi-obsessive, but not-so-compulsive dieters. I'm the type to not stick to a diet regiment, because I know I could never do it. I never really thought I would be going on a diet, especially since I was always very skinny in high school and part of my college years. My diet was, eat, eat eat. And if you're full, eat more. Just keep eating.

I was so damn skinny you could probably blow me a "flying kiss" and I would be blown miles away. If you're not Filipino, and you didn't understand that analogy, it just means I was just skinny beyond belief. When I graduated high school, I was a flimsy 125 lbs with just bon
es and nice teeth to show. At the end of my first year in college, I was a bony 132, but at least that gave me hope. But as a guy, a man, who wants to be skinny, right? I felt like I was weak and unattractive. But to make a long story short, I was 155 lbs by the middle of my sophomore year by eating a lot and going to the gym; but the cost of this weight gain was the loss of my washboard abs.

I'm still at a toned 155 lbs, but I have never really thought of having back those abs again. At least I am not fish bones anymore...But i'm reaching a good age, where I need to see them again. So here I am, on a special diet. Chicken is the prime target. I try to eat skinless chicken breast all the time, but I'm not willing to give up KFC. Lots and lots of veggies, steamed especially. Beef and fish. Yummy. And cut down dramatically on pork, which means no more bacon, longanisa, pork chops.

And here's the kicker, white sticky rice must go down to a minimum. Filipinos eat rice. It is their staple food. But having grown up in the US, I am accustomed to eating without rice. Instead, I'm eating whole wheat bread. It's not a bad substitute. But yes, i do miss rice, and I wish I could eat still eat a lot of it. But I probably eat a cup of rice maybe a week now.

Image, image, image. When trying to have a certain image, I know it's very unhealthy when you're doing it for the wrong reasons, like pleasing society, or those around you, be it a boy friend, girlfriend, parents, or friends. Me, I'm doing it because I wanna look good for myself. Ha ha. Who are we kidding here? I'm doing it not only for myself, but it's nice to have that attention. Who would not want that attention here and there? And I can hear all those comments again, "Dude, you're vain" "Man, you're full of yourself." Most of us have some kind of vanity; we all want to look good in the best way we know how, just to certain degrees.

So, it's time for me to go and cook the chicken breast, no skin. Extra virgin olive oil. Steamed brocolli, cauliflower, and green beans.

1 comment:

ladybug said...

Haha...flying kiss. Haven't heard that phrase in a long while.

You just reminded me that I have to go on a diet also. Hey, hope you're having a good time here. Thanks for dropping by my blog. :-)